Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Snow City, AK

I just returned from a trip to the great state of Alaska for the Specialty Imports annual trade shows and fundraisers for the Anchorage Symphony. Specialty is a superior company that has been in business almost as long as Alaska has been a state, over 30 years now. I haven't got to spend as much time there as I would like yet (Specialty has our time pretty much booked up during the trade shows) but this time I did get to discover some gems that you shouldn't miss if you have a bit of time in Anchorage.

I stay at the Hotel Captain Cook in Anchorage. I love hotels like this, independent and slightly old-school with wonderful service and a great bar, The Crow's Nest. The decor is slightly outdated, but I think it only adds to the hotel's charm. The gilded elevators and plethora of Native art give it a distinctly Alaskan flair. The guest rooms offer bathrobes and flat screen TV's, two of my essentials. Request a room on one of the higher floors for breathtaking views of the glaciers and mountains surrounding the city. They also have a great fitness center (currently being remodeled) with a pool, sauna, cardio equipment, weights and a steam room.













The view from your room!

Coffee -
Kaladi Brothers Coffee is a local institution, and you should be able to find one of their 12 locations during your travels in Anchorage.

Brunch/Lunch - 
Snow City Cafe in Anchorage is the best for breakfast and lunch. Their soups and sandwiches are delicious! Last year the Specialty trade shows were during the Mt. Redoubt eruptions and we had to take a 7 hour bus ride to Fairbanks to escape the ash cloud. Snow City came through in a pinch and made all us wine road warriors lunch to go. It was great and the sandwiches hit the spot.

Dinner - 
The Glacier Brewhouse has a great menu of flatbreads and salads and some of the best beer I've ever tasted. It's two blocks away from the Captain Cook and offers a homey brewpub atmosphere. I love the slogan, a truly local place! Thanks to my friend Thomas for taking me here.











I hope to have more on Anchorage for you when I return this summer. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment